Terms of Reference
Emergency Programme Coordinator
Duration: 3months. The first month will be a probation period. The contract is renewable pending available funds.
Location: Erbil with travel to other governorate as required.
ALMORTAQA for Development is an Iraqi independent non-governmental, non-profit, public benefit civil society organization, founded by a group of activists from the Iraqi civil society, on 31/08/2005, and was officially licensed by NGOs Directorate in the General Secretariat of the Council of Ministers. It operates officially in accordance with the Iraqi law. ALMORTAQA for Development is the first local civil society organization to get UN’s special consultative status at the Economic and Social Council of the United Nations since 2013.
About the position:
ALMORTAQAseeksto employee anEmergency programme coordinator based in Erbil to be responsible on the management of the emergency projects of ALMORTAQA being implemented in Northern Iraq. Emergency management coordinators are also often responsible for Leading/conducting assessments, tests and emergency service drills and exercises with the public, with local officials, and with first responders and coordinating and conducting training activities and programs.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
• Support the Country Programmes Director (CPD) in driving strategy, strategic and annual planning, designing new projects, proposal writing, and donors’ relations.
• Support and deputize the CPD in representation activities with all key stakeholders (members, donors, NGO Community, UN agencies, local authorities, and others) in Northern-Iraq.
• Manage the relevant partnerships agreements and relations with UN agencies, local NGOs, local authorities and donor agencies.
• Participating with ALMORTAQA Key staff in the design of relevant projects, including the regular work plans, project budgets, projects change and risk management plans.
• Lead on the monitoring and evaluation plans and tools design and implementation.
• Ensure the proper implementation of the plans, achieving expected results per indicators.
• Provide the leadership and technical support to the staff (managers, officers, and assistants).
• Become an expert in the civil society and local NGOs, look for innovative ways in empowering them.
• Keep track of all other relevant projects, look for connectedness, and sustainability.
• Lead on and take part in the relevant capacity developments committees, tasks forces, and advisory groups.
• Supervise the field and project staff in their implementation of the related projects activities, including their support and monitoring plans and field visits to all locations.
• Manage all the reporting requirements including narrative reports, mid-term reports, final reports, M&E reports, workshops reports, etc.
• Lead on relevant projects internal and external audit, consultants, etc.
• participates in defining all projects positions (recruitment, training, monitoring, setting objectives, support and assessments for staff)
Minimal Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
• Iraqi National. Lives in Erbil.
• Relevant university degree. Master degree is a plus.
• Minimum5 years of relevant experience, working in operation and project management roles in development and emergency settings with international NGOs, UN agencies.
• Fluent in English (Read, Write, Speak)
• Very good analytical, reporting and computer applications skills
• Knowledge and understanding of the international humanitarian/development system and the mandates of the actors involved
• Knowledge and understanding of donors and UN agencies rules and regulations.
• Knowledge and skills in proposal writing.
• Knowledge and understanding of the dynamics of the Iraqi context
• Commitment to humanitarian principles and action
• Good representation, communication, interpersonal and team spirit skills, and the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of audiences
• Culturally sensitivity and tolerance
• Energetic, positive, adaptable and flexible
How to apply
If interested, please send your resume and a cover letter to
indicating the position title in the subject of the email.
The deadline for application is November 3rd2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Please note: that given the urgency of vacancy the position may be filled before the due date.